Octane Render Engine

Just discovered the Octane Render Engine......is this thing any good....should I deactivate now before it destroys all my files?......Has it made reveryones renders Hapiness and Rainbows?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,279

Personally, Octane isn't my favorite render engine, nor do I think it was integrated well into DS. That said, a lot of people love it, so if you want to give it a try, there's no harm in doing so. Just know that you'll have to put a lot of work into setting up shaders, so if you've never worked with a node-based shader, there's a bit of a learning curve.

Additional notes: unlike Iray, which can be accelerated with a compatible NVidia GPU, Octane literally will not work without one. On the other hand, Octane can use out-of-core memory, meaning that you can render scenes that would bypass the GPU in Iray, and Octane is probably the fastest rendering engine I've used, making it a suitable replacement for Iray (again, if you're willing to put in the work).

• lstubbs2lstubbs2 Posts: 31

Did some stuff with it.....It does have problems with Iray......Doesn't see some stuff.....I'll play with it for a bit and see if I can get it better.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,354

One issue, with at least some versions of the plug-in, is the accumulation of scene data items. There is a sample script which can be used to remove those http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/elements/remove_prefixed_data/start

edited May 5

lstubbs2 said:

Did some stuff with it.....It does have problems with Iray......Doesn't see some stuff.....I'll play with it for a bit and see if I can get it better.

It doesn't "have problems" with Iray, it's an entirely separate render engine, and using any render engine effectively involves learning what different parameters do. Daz has made the integration of Iray into DS seamless, so it's as easy as possible to made renders that look at least decent. If you use a different render engine in DS, it's going to be more complicated.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,936
    edited May 5

it doesn't play nice with Ultrascatter or Ultrascenery in fact I believe it cannot be installed if you want to use some features (don't really know as haven't used Ultrascenery much)

I love Octane 4. Carrara but never found the DAZ studio GUI very easy

in Carrara it is fully integrated with the Carrara GUI

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 500

WendyLuvsCatz said:

it doesn't play nice with Ultrascatter or Ultrascenery in fact I believe it cannot be installed if you want to use some features (don't really know as haven't used Ultrascenery much)

I love Octane 4. Carrara but never found the DAZ studio GUI very easy

in Carrara it is fully integrated with the Carrara GUI

I uninstalled Octane from Daz Studio a year or so ago after Richard Haseltine (possibly someone else) answered one of my forum questions about having problems with UltraScenery working properly.  The advice was that Octane was the cause of my problems.  As soon as I uninstalled Octane, the problems with UltraScenery went away.  I’d rather have UltraScenery working properly than have Octane. 

• backgroundbackground Posts: 360

I use Octane render a lot, and only ever use Iray to check if a material is correct. I find Octane is much faster and also doesn't heat up my graphic card like Iray does. I don't really want to wear out my graphic card, so I'm willing to accept some minor inconvenience in converting materials. I also find the Octane material editor much easier to use than the Iray one.